Pictures without thumbnails ?

Tell us what you think of the database, the forum, and what features you would like to see added!
LVCDC2

Re: Pictures without thumbnails ?

Post by LVCDC2 »

I don't know the brain(s) of this website but I guess he's / they are (like me) doing that on their free time.

But it's a little bit difficult to post and check (!) if there is no errors before to validate a new page or the upgrade of a big section like "Frequently Seen Aircrafts" !

The last movie I have analyzed, by chance, was through a copy with a small size (under 500 pixel). This allows me to upload screenshots without resizing them and so the page is fully displayed.
But it's quite rare to find such copy !

I too wish this bug will be overrun soon !

Here is a list of pages marked by this bug (update on 22nd october) :

uncompleted :
Kaze tachinu
Warm Bodies
Dangers dans le ciel

upgrades on :
Storm (1999)
Lord of the Flies (1963)
Ray (2004)
Ep. 2.05 of the New Avengers
Frequently Seen Aircraft

New pages :
A Very Polish Practice
Forrest Gump
Cool Runnings
They Won't Believe Me
Eclipse 73
Peter Voss, der Held des Tages (only the poster is unvisible)
A Very Polish Practice
King Kong 2005
Homeland

several pages of new aircraft types (Mitsubishi F1M ; Yokosuka MXY-7 ; Vought SB2U; Polikarpov I-16; Douglas B-18; Sukhoi Su-15; Beechcraft Musketeer; Nakajima Ki-43; ...)

Pages with pix not yet uploaded :
Fun with Dick and Jane (2005)
Things to Come

Mib has built a page with pix at full size (Orwell 1984)

And I've built some pages with small sized pictures in order to avoid resizing (full size ones will be uploade once the bug fixed) [it's easy as they are relatives to future release movies, so the definitive page probably needs a full new work]. They are :
En solitaire
Eyjafjallajökull
Largo Winch II
Three the Hard Way (?)
Essential Killing (?)
Nathalie, agent secret (?)
Auguste (?)
Against All Odds (?)
3 Nuts in Search of a Bolt (?)
Le dernier vol (2009)
The Pelican Brief
Ballada o bombere

Due to the spam of new accounts, I'm not able to go back beyond the 15th sept (but the bug was already active half a month earlier at least). So, this list is uncomplete !
Last edited by LVCDC2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

Nothing new ?

Alas ! the list of pages under the threat of grey messages apologizing for faulty picture resizing is still growing ... (see previous message updated).
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

Last I heard, there was an impending fix that was going to be rolled out along with a general Wiki update. Like has been mentioned, this is all done in people's spare time so we just have to be patient.

In the meantime, I think I've worked out the problem - re-sizing the image to the size specified on pages. For a temporary solution therefore, you can re-upload pictures at the size required on the page - e.g. 500px width for most. Hopefully a fix should be coming soon though so I wouldn't recommend doing this on existing pages.

Also, please don't change the standardised IMPdb sizes, change the actual image - otherwise the formatting will be all wrong.
Tim - IMPDb Administrator
Aircraft 'Expert'
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

Please Excuse me to be so impatient (*) but uploading limited to 500 pixel is frustrating when the picture has lots of details which could not be usefull without full resolution.
To distinguish 9 aircrafts with such size instead the original 2043 pixel is over most people capacity, I'm afraid ...

Well...
Wait ... and see ! :-D

(*) and I'm pretty sure that at least a handfull of others more discrete contributors are like me ;-)
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting 500px uploads as a permanent solution. Hopefully everything will be rectified soon.
Tim - IMPDb Administrator
Aircraft 'Expert'
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

How strange ...

Sometimes, I'm able to uploade a picture at full size and IMPDB resized it at 500 pixel.
And minutes later, it doesn't work again.

That's why I'm now working on projects with low resolution, to avoid the need of resizing myself lots of screenshots.

Movies with shots with full of aircrats (airport scene) or with a plane far away will wait the bug fixed.
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

Nothing new about the automatic resizing ?

It's a pitty to watch 500 pixels wide screenshots and guess details we can not used ! (registration for example).
rush
Site Admin

Post by rush »

We are still working on this, but so far have not been able to find a fix. One thing I am curious about, is if this issue is being caused for JPEG only or if other image formats are also creating the error. The next time you see this error, please reply to this thread with the details of your image (size, format, exact name, etc).

Thanks!
RUSH
co-founder/admin
rush
Site Admin

Post by rush »

UPDATE

I found one error related to this issue and have fixed it. I am not sure if it is going to fix everything, however, so please continue to update this thread if there are still problems. Also, please copy/paste the error message you are receiving.
RUSH
co-founder/admin
rush
Site Admin

Post by rush »

From my own testing, it appears this error only occurs when you are logged in. If you run into this error while creating the page, log out and view it and see if the thumbnail appears. Then log back in and see if you get the error again (I expect you will).

More troubleshooting to come.
RUSH
co-founder/admin