Cartoons

Tell us what you think of the database, the forum, and what features you would like to see added!
atom

Cartoons

Post by atom »

I wonder what you stance is with cartoons, could they be included or not? If you don't want them I'm totally cool with that. I have pleanty of stuff to upload as it is ;)

I have some examples here from the movie Cowboy Bebop:
Image Image Image Image
tleeg
Site Admin

Re: Cartoons

Post by tleeg »

I appreciate you asking atom.

I would like to focus on real (identifiable) aircraft, but if a contributor has a passion for cartoons, I think that's fine. Especially/specifically if it's based on a real plane that we can identify. Those planes look like they could be based on a real one.

The question that may come up, which I am currently unsure of the answer is, "Will IMPDb allow cartoon planes which are completely made up/not identifiable?"
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

I would suggest for now focussing on real planes, especially if you have the material for it already.
Tim - IMPDb Administrator
Aircraft 'Expert'
tleeg
Site Admin

Post by tleeg »

Bthebest wrote:I would suggest for now focussing on real planes, especially if you have the material for it already.
Partly because we (everyone who uses the forum/wiki at this time) are the "senior" (first) members of this project so want to be examples. It looks like you are ready though. If those aircraft are identifiable, go ahead and make the page atom. I think when we say "focus", it means mainly real aircraft, for now. (A few here and there won't hurt anything)

One thing I guess we need to consider is that cartoons can still help attract others...
atom

Post by atom »

Yes, of course I meant if they are based on real planes not made up ones.
I just wanted to know what you thought but I will probably wait with this one untill I'm 'done' with those I have from 'real' movies.
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

On a similar note, i was watching terminator and, although it doesn't have any planes, it does have fictional sci-fi aircraft that is named. Should this sort of thing be included? It can be clearly stated - although in this case clearly not necessary - that these aircraft are fictional. If a name is given to an aircraft then it is 'identifiable'.
Tim - IMPDb Administrator
Aircraft 'Expert'
tleeg
Site Admin

Post by tleeg »

Bthebest wrote:On a similar note, i was watching terminator and, although it doesn't have any planes, it does have fictional sci-fi aircraft that is named. Should this sort of thing be included? It can be clearly stated - although in this case clearly not necessary - that these aircraft are fictional. If a name is given to an aircraft then it is 'identifiable'.
Thanks for asking.

If you think it's fine and we have no more opinions, then I am fine with it.
BCap

Post by BCap »

In "Sonic X," the Tornado strongly resembles a Polikarpov I-15 or I-153. Also, don't know if this counts, but the Resistance video games for PS3 feature F-86 Sabres.

Area 88 (both the OVA and the new TV show) features tons of real planes as well, F-4Es and Js, F-5As and Es, F-8s, F-14s, F-16s, F-18s, F-20s, Mirage F1s, Kfirs, MiG-21s, MiG-17s, MiG-23s, MiG-27s, A-4s, A-10s, F-100s, etc. The manga also had T-6s, F-15s, and others.
BCap

Post by BCap »

Oh, and you can see F-86s in Iron Giant, and a lot of characters in the original Transformers cartoon changed into aircraft. Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp all became F-15s, while the individual members of the Aerialbots changed into various craft (a Concorde, a Harrier, an F-4, an F-15, and an F-16), while one character was a MiG-25.
tleeg
Site Admin

Post by tleeg »

Thanks for the great info BCap! Sounds like you know a good amount about aircraft! We are going to hold off on games for now, but based on your information, if you want, you could go ahead and start building some of those film pages you are referring to. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with most of movies you mentioned. Even if you don't have time to build the pages though, it's still great to know so that we can make sure to include them on the wiki at some point. BTW, sorry for the delayed response.